Monday, July 7, 2008

a plea on behalf of the studious and caffeinated

(This is the third post for Week #2)

As my last post was quite lengthy (apologies and thanks to those of you who took the time to read it), this will be a very simple post on a very simple argument:


I am sitting at Brewed Awakening in Berkeley as I type this post. I sometimes come here when I am in the Bay Area so that I can read or study and enjoy a really good cup of coffee. The cafe is quite open, airy, and comfortable, and I have never had trouble finding a table even though it is a popular place. If it were crowded, however, I could go to Yali’s, Free Speech, the International House cafe, Au Cocoulet, Cafe Strada, Cafe, Milano, or Poulet. Not only could I make it to any of those other cafes, I could do it, walking, within twenty minutes in any direction. Which leads me to my argument:

Davis needs more independent cafes.

I usually study at Mishka’s in Davis, since I like the coffee, the atmosphere, and the fact that it is privately owned. Seating, however, is another story. I have walked to Mishka’s countless times only to find it full to capacity, with only a few tables boasting “the rule” still empty. Though this occurrence is frequent, I keep coming back, simply because it is one of the few places in Davis where students can grab a cup of coffee and study.

Yes, I will acknowledge the fact that there are other cafes in Davis, but I find they are all lacking in one way or another:

Starbucks – Starbucks is often cramped, and has tiny round tables not useful for studying (at least, not for me as I usually have at least a book, a notebook, and a computer)

Peet’s – What kind of a cafe closes at 9:00pm? This is only the downtown Peet’s; if I recall correctly, the Marketplace Peet’s closes at 7:00pm.

Crepeville – You can only study here during certain periods of the day as the owners are concerned about table turnover and will ask you to leave if you have been occupying a table for a while but haven’t purchased more food.

Le Chamois – I just have trouble studying here, I don’t even know why.

Borders – You must pay to use the internet.

3rd and U – Televisions are counterproductive to studying. Especially when they are playing the Food Network.

It seems to me that the ratio between student population and good cafes is undesirable in Davis. We need to promote the opening of new, independent cafes in Davis, and give them the opportunity to thrive. We ought to create rent-controlled zones for such businesses to protect them from greedy property owners (let’s have a moment of silence for Cafe Roma and Espresso Roma). And we as students ought to make an effort to support such business to show city officials what we appreciate in our town.

If you build an independent coffee shop with free internet, square tables, and delicious pastries, students will come.

No comments: